Monday 21 July 2008

Pefect Disaster Series

Lately, I have been quite interested in natural disaster such as tornado, ice strom, volcano and etc. Don't get me wrong to have some odd interest on destructions but I am interested on how this things happen. The thing I'm interested is how does this calamity happens? what have drive the ignition and caused this to happen and etc. For instance, how does a tornado form and can we predict it? These are interesting questions is it? Well, at least for me.

The DVD cover page

Okay, my interest has lead me to buy this DVD series of perfect disasters. This series contains six natural disasters that might be happen in the future. They are super tornado, solar storm, mega flood, fire storm, super typoon and ice storm. guess not many people are interested in this series but I found out it is very knowledgable. Too bad I'm not doing meteorology study..haha.
The famous quote from this series is "the question is not if it's gonna happen but when it will happen". I guess this is quite a good quote that I might be using it in the future..haha. One very nice thing about this series is they used graphical simulations to show the audience how these disasters will form and what is driving them. Frankly speaking, I did learn a lot of things from this series.
I found out that the two most interesting series are the solar storm and ice storm. I know not many people know about solar storm because I have asked my friends before and they don't have any idea. Even for me I only know that it is from the Sun and could caused distruptions to electronic equipments when it hit the earth..that's all. However, after watching the Solar Storm series I have a big picture of what will happen when this storm hit earth. Solar storm or sometimes call geomagnetic storm will caused temporary disturbance to earth magnetic field or megnetosphere. It is caused by the sun that constantly ejecting high energy particles to the space during activity such as solar flare or the worst, corona mass ejection (CME). Big CME can caused major disturbance such as mass destruction of power transformers which will caused major blackout in the city. For those who are interested about aurora or northern lights, these are caused by solar wind (solar storm is stronger) when the high enery particles from the sun collided with the earth oxygen and nitrogen atoms, creating a series a light shows across the sky.
You can refer to wikipedia for more informations about solar storm.
For other series, feel free to look in the wikipedia for more info if you are interested. Still I will recommend for those who are interested in meteorology. This DVD is worth to buy. I'm not sure whether can be found in Malaysia but I bought about £13 from Zavvi which is quite cheap for all region DVD.

No comments: