Wednesday 23 July 2008

Origins of Kamikaze

Two days ago when my friend and I was having our lunch, we mentioned the word Kamikaze. I can't really remember the topic we are talking about but something about history. Well, I guess this word is well recognised by a lot of people. This word has been referred to suicidal pilots that use their plane to sink loads of Alliance ships during world war 2. As we talk, I realised this Kamikaze word actually have nothing related to suicide. If this word is seperated into two you will read as "kami" and "kaze". Since I watched loads of anime I straight away recognised the word "kami" is referred as "god" or "divinity" and "kaze" is referred as "wind". For those who watch Naruto will know the recognised "Kazekage" which referred to the leader from the land of wind.
After I did some research I found out that Kamikaze originally means divine wind and have nothing to do with suicide at all. According to wikipedia, the origins from this word is come from the major typhoons that hit Japan in 1274 and 1281. As I read along, I only found out that the meaning for Kamikaze was erroneously translated by US. Instead of Kamikaze, the Japanese themselves used "tokubetsu kōgeki tai" means Special Attack Units. Here is a quote I took from wikipedia website.
"The Japanese themselves did not use the word Kamikaze to refer to these World War II attacks. The official Japanese term was tokubetsu kōgeki tai (特別攻撃隊 "Special Attack Units"). The word Shinpū (also meaning "divine wind"; just another reading of the same kanji for kamikaze) was also used informally for suicide units. U.S. translators erroneously used the Japanese word Kamikaze, which has a similar original meaning of "divine wind""
Well, I guess what we learned was not that correct...haha. Anyway, this is a general information. For those who interested you can visit:
for more details.

No comments: